Definitions:The act of going before in time, rank, dignity or the place of honour; the foremost place in a ceremony; superiority.
- Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language. By Nuttall, P.Austin. Published 1914. (noun) (n.) (noun)
- Wordnet Dictionary DB (noun) (n.) (noun)
- Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language. By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H. Published 1874. (noun) (n.) (noun)
- The Winston Simplified Dictionary. By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer. Published 1919. (noun) (n.) (noun)
- The Clarendon dictionary. By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman. Published 1894. (noun) (n.) (noun)
Usage examples:The rules of official precedence are strictly observed in appellate courts.
- The American Judiciary by
- The Project Gutenberg Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte by
- Rambles and Recollections of an Indian Official by